Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Apple Slices

I can't believe it is September 1st all ready! Where did the summer go? As much as I enjoy summer, I absolutely love the Fall! It's my favorite season! The days are getting shorter, and the nights are getting cooler...apple season is just around the corner! I had a request for my apple slice recipe, so I figured I'd post it since it's perfect for this time of the year! It's a little time consuming, but is well worth the effort. If you make this recipe, make sure to make the dough, and do not use store bought pie crust. It is not the same. The dough for this recipe is what makes this recipe fantastic! My father loves these apple slices! He likes them so much that when I make them I usually have to make two batches because the first one disappears rather quickly! Hope you enjoy it, as much as he does!

Apple Mixture:
10-12 Apples, peeled and sliced (I like to use golden delicious)
1/2 t Salt
2 C Sugar
1 t Cinnamon
4 T Flour
2 T Butter (for top)

To Make Filling:

Mix apples with dry ingredients. Save butter until crust is ready for filling.

Dough:
1 1/2 C Shortening
4 C Flour
1/2 t Salt
3 T Lemon Juice
2 Eggs
6 T Water

Directions:
Sift flour and salt together. Add shortening into flour until mixture becomes coarse. Beat eggs, lemon juice and water together. Add to first mixture. Mix and turn out on wax paper and press into a ball. Cut ball in half (top & bottom crust). Roll bottom crust out on floured surface to fit a 15x11x2 inch pan. The bottom crust should line the bottom of the pan, and the sides. Once bottom crust is ready, pour filling in, pat the apples with butter. Roll out top of crust, place on top of filling. Take a fork and prick top crust with a few holes to vent. Bake slices at 450 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Icing:

While slices are still warm, make the icing. Take one whole bag of powdered sugar, enough hot water to make spreadable, 1 tsp vanilla and a dash of salt. Drizzle all over the hot slices and allow to cool on a rack.

The apple slices taste good warm, but they taste even better cooled! You can cut and freeze these too! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment