Thursday, August 20, 2009

Garlic Pita Chips

I'm always looking for a nice healthy snack! Something you can eat, and not feel guilty afterwards. Pita chips are great because you can make so many different flavors! You can eat them plain, serve them with a dip, or crumble them on top of salads. The best part of making them yourself is they are fresh, and dirt cheap to make.

What You'll Need:
1 Pkg Pitas (I use Lebanese Pitas because they are thin and come out crunchy in the oven)
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Garlic Powder

How You Make Them:

Cut Pitas into strips, and then into pieces. Place pieces in large bowl. Drizzle enough olive oil over chips and toss until all chips are coated. You do not want to saturate the chips with oil, but you do want a nice light coat on them so they will get nice and crunchy in the oven. Next sprinkle sea salt and garlic powder and toss to coat. Season to your own taste. I love garlic, so I tend to use a lot. You can taste a piece before they go into the oven to make sure they are seasoned the way you want them to. Once they are seasoned to your liking, take a jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper. Spread chips on pan. Heat oven to 350, and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Flip chips about halfway through to make sure they cook properly. You want them to be slightly browned, and not look wet. They should be dry.

I have a convection setting on my oven, which works fantastic for this recipe. The chips really cook evenly, and get nice and crunchy. If you have this function on your oven I suggest using it.

The chips are so good when they just come out of the oven. They are warm, and crisp, and everyone loves them! You can put them in a large Ziploc to store.
Tips:

***You really can make any flavor you want. I've made B-B-Q, Parmesan garlic, sea salt & pepper, rosemary / dill, chive & garlic, southwest and ranch. The possibilities are endless.

I buy my Lebanese Pita's from my local produce market (Caputo's). I find the Greek Pita's are too thick, and don't taste as good as the Lebanese.

Thanks John for telling me how to make pita chips! I can't get enough of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment