Friday, August 7, 2009

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Ahhh.... the smell of slow roasting tomatoes! My house is so fragrant right now, it smells like a little Italian cucina! I had said in my last post that I had 20 lbs of tomatoes to roast. So far I've done about half. This process is very easy, but very timely! Prep time is about 10 minutes. Cooking time is 10 hours. It may sound like an eternity, but it is so worth it! I can't even begin to tell you how good the little slices of heaven that come out of your oven 10 hours later are! The intense flavor of tomato is absolutely fantastic! This is a great recipe if you grow a lot of tomatoes, or have access to a local farm that you can buy them by the half or full bushel. The whole reason behind me doing this is so I can freeze them and enjoy them in the winter months. You can use them in pasta, soup, chili, sauces, salsa, and stews. They are great by themselves too, I had a full plate right when they came out of the oven! Delicious!

What You'll Need:

Plum Tomatoes (the amount is up to you, and what your oven can hold)
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Dried Italian Herbs
Garlic

How You Roast:

Wash your tomatoes and dry them. Slice tomatoes in half. Take a jelly roll pan or roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. You'll want to use a pan with a lip so oil and juices do not drip into your oven. Next take your sliced tomatoes and place cut side down in pan. Sprinkle sea salt, herbs, and minced garlic over tomatoes. Lastly drizzle a little more olive oil over the tops of the tomatoes. Set your oven to 200 and roast for 10 hours. When tomatoes are done roasting, pull them out of oven, slightly cool, and remove skins. Once cooled, place in containers and refrigerate or freeze. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment