Saturday, July 18, 2009

Beef Kabobs

My mother is a fantastic cook! One of those people who are naturally good at it, and really knows how to taste with all of her senses. She knows immediately what a recipe is lacking and what it really needs to make it taste great. Like most good cooks, she does not use measurements. A little of this, a little of that, and perfection is served an hour later! Since I love to cook, and I enjoy her cooking, I wanted to duplicate one of her signature dishes. Beef Kabobs...I asked for the recipe, doesn't exist! I sat down with her one afternoon, and we had our very own test kitchen to figure out exactly how much of what we needed to recreate this recipe. The beef is marinated, which is the key! Without that it's just beef! The marinade makes it tender and savory and really makes the whole dish. This is a great summer time dish because it is fantastic on the grill!

Marinade:

2 lbs. Beef Sirloin

6 T Bourbon

6 T Soy Sauce

6 T Olive Oil

6 t Sugar

1 bunch Green Onion (chopped)

2 T Minced Fresh Garlic

A Dash Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper

Trim fat off of sirloin, and slice into small chunks that will cook evenly on the grill. Mix Bourbon, soy sauce, olive oil and sugar in a measuring cup and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Once sugar is dissolved add green onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Place meat with marinade in a bowl or a Ziploc bag. Put meat in refrigerator to marinade for a couple of hours.

Making Kabobs:

1 Green Pepper (cut into chunks)

1 Red Pepper (cut into chunks)

1 Yellow Pepper (cut into chunks)

1 Sweet Onion

1/2 Container of Baby Portabella Mushrooms

1 Pkg Bamboo Skewers

Take skewers and alternate meat and vegetables until all ingredients are used up. Grill on medium heat until meat is slightly caramelized, and vegetables are cooked.

My suggestions for this recipe:

When I make this recipe I skewer all my meat on their own skewers, and all the vegetables on different skewers. The reason for this is because the vegetables take a little longer to cook then the meat. I like my veggies slightly charred, tender but still crisp. I season my veggies with a little olive oil drizzle, and some salt and pepper before grilling. Once they are grilled, I take all the veggies off of their skewers and put them in a bowl to make a roasted vegetable salad. I use a fantastic 25 year old balsamic, and a nice basil / garlic infused olive oil. I add a pinch of sea salt and toss, that's all there is to a quick easy side dish to your grilled sirloin.

Some other suggestions are to marinade the meat over night. I think the longer the meat sits in the marinade the better it tastes. The bourbon really gives the meat a great flavor! Some other variations to this recipe are to add red pepper flakes to add some spice or orange zest to add a little citrus. No matter how you cook it, it's a great summer favorite of mine! I've been enjoying this simple dish since for many years, hope you will enjoy it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment