Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fresh Guacamole

What goes better with salsa, margaritas and Mexican food then guacamole?! I admit, when I was younger I could not stand avocados. One trip to Mexico, when I graduated college, changed all of that! The great thing about Mexico, is everywhere you go, they give you a bowl of chips, salsa and guacamole. This was perfect for me since I had a college graduate's budget and the salsa and guacamole was free! I still was a little unsure of the whole liking avocado thing, but it was something that did eventually grow on me. It seemed like the more I ate it, the more I liked it. Which made me wonder "What's in this stuff?" A friend of our family is from Mexico and can make the best guacamole ever! After a couple of years of wondering how he does it, I finally got my hands on the recipe!

Ingredients:

6 Avocados
5 Tomatoes
1 White Onion
4 T Chopped Cilantro
4 Serrano Peppers
1 Quarter of a lime
2 T Olive Oil
2 T Sugar
1/4 t Oregano
1/4 t Black Pepper
1/4 t Onion Powder
1/4 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Italian Seasoning
Pinch of Salt

Direction:

Chop tomatoes, onions and peppers (remove seeds from peppers). Place ingredients in a bowl and add cilantro. Next break avocados into small pieces. Do not chop or smash. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix everything breaking the avocados up more. The mixture should be chunky, and not entirely smashed. Leave 2-3 avocado pits in guacamole to keep the fresh color.

Notes:
***This guacamole is spicy. It's not flaming hot, but it does have a kick, which I think is nice. If you do not want it real spicy cut down on the amount of Serrano peppers or use a jalapeno which is a little more mild then a Serrano.
***If you decide to use Serrano peppers you may want to wear rubber gloves when dicing. If you have any cuts on your fingers, you will be feeling the sting from the oil of the pepper for hours! I know from experience!

Now make a margarita, grab some chips, and enjoy this great summer time snack! Thanks Daniel for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment