Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mango Nectarines

I went to my local produce market a couple of days ago, and while strolling though the vibrant colored summer fruits I noticed something I hadn't seen before. It was a golden / light green fruit with the shape of a plum called a mango nectarine. This immediately struck my interest because mango's and nectarine's are one of my favorite fruits, and I thought if this is some new California science experiment between the two I'm all for it! I quickly grabbed a couple of them and took them home to ripen.

I decided to find out more about this fruit since it is new to me. What I've learned is they actually have no relation to the mango what so ever despite their name. They come from California and have a short season. They are out now in produce markets and will only last until the beginning of August. Now, I wait until they are ripe for the true taste test!

I went in my kitchen this morning, grabbed a mango nectarine, and I was so happy to find out that it was ready to eat! Anxiously awaiting like results at the Olympics, I bit into the fruit and my taste buds danced with delight! It did taste like a mango, had the consistency of a nectarine and was a new fruit I could definitely add to my list of likes!

My advise is, get them while there in season! If you blink you may miss it! I think they would be great paired with fresh blueberries and put into salsa! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment