Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Zucchini Lasagna

This recipe is for my sister who literally is going crazy with all the zucchini her garden is producing. The recipe comes from my husbands grandmother.

Ingredients:

1 lb Ground Beef
1 T Minced Onion
1 jar Italian Cooking Sauce (21 oz.)
1/2 t Basil
1/8 t Garlic Powder
8 Zucchini (medium)
2 cups Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg (beaten)
2 T Parmesan Cheese
1 T Parsley
1/2 t Salt
1/4 cup Flour
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs

Instructions:

Cook beef and onion on high for 4-5 minutes. Drain, and add cooking sauce, basil and garlic. Cook on high 3-4 minutes. Set aside.

Slice Zucchini.

Beat together ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, parsley and salt.

Toss zucchini slices in flour and a little salt and place on the bottom of a 9X13 lasagna pan.

Top with ricotta cheese. Spoon meat sauce over ricotta. Repeat one more layer of zucchini, ricotta and sauce.

Combine mozzarella and bread crumbs and top lasagna before baking.

Cover and bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour depending on your oven.

My thoughts of this recipe:
**This recipe is very good and can be made vegetarian if desired. I did not use 8 zucchini, I thought that was a lot once you start slicing it. My slices however were very thin thanks to the mandolin I was using. I suppose if you cut them by hand and can not slice the zucchini thin, you will probably use more. I did pat dry the zucchini before putting it into flour to remove any excess water. Zucchini has a lot of water in it, so try to soak up as much as you can before baking. You may even have to use a little more of the flour mix to make sure lasagna does not come out too watery. I of course love cheese, and used a little more then what was called for. I also used fresh ingredients such as basil and garlic verses powder or dried. It does make a difference in taste in my opinion. I also used almost two jars of sauce instead of one. I like to make a big batch and use it as I see fit. It's great to have left over sauce for reheating the lasagna the next day.

Hope this makes good use of all the summer zucchini! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment