Friday, July 24, 2009

Candied Sweet Pickles

There are pickles everywhere you go! They're dirt cheap, and are being sold buy the bucket. I enjoy fresh pickles that are nice and green and that aren't a weird shade of neon yellow like you see in the jars at the stores. Those aren't pickles to me, those are science experiments! I went to a local farm, and bought literally a bucket of pickles yesterday! I decided to make refrigerator pickles that my grandma used to make. They are simple to make, and require no cooking. This recipe makes a ton, and can be stored in the frig for weeks. Actually the longer they sit, the better they taste! They're great to bring to picnics, and a nice homemade gift to give to friends and family!

Ingredients:

1 Gallon Jug full of sliced fresh pickles
3 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Cups Sugar
Pickling Spice 3oz. (can get at grocery store)
Dill (optional)
2 Cups Water

Directions:

Slice all pickles and place in a gallon container. (I use a mandolin for even slicing.) In a bowl, non metal, mix apple cider vinegar, sugar and pickling spice. Use a whisk until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture in container, and add just enough water to cover pickles not exceeding 2 cups. Add additional dill to taste and mix. Cover container, and place in refrigerator. Stir occasionally. Let pickles sit for 5 days before using.

**You can use other vegetables besides just pickles for this recipe, remember to not exceed a gallon.
**Pickling spice can be usually found by the fresh pickles in most produce markets or down the spice isle. Since pickles are in season now, I've noticed a lot of stores putting the ingredients near each other, knowing it's a popular thing to do in the summer.
***You can use a sugar substitute, just make sure it's equivalent to 4 cups of regular sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I can't wait to try these. My family and Tim's family both LOVE pickles, so they will be just as excited as me :-)

    ReplyDelete